Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reaching out to Muslims

I recently visited Jordan (96% Muslims).  God opened my heart to pray more fervently for Muslims. 

I.      Islam Facts
A.   Since 1900, Islam has grown more than 460%.
1.    Today, there are more than 1 billion Muslims in the world.  Each year, that number grows by more than 25 million people.
2.    In the U.S., Islam is the 3rd largest religion.
B.   Islam beliefs: Five Pillars
1.    Shahadah: "There is no God but Allah; and Mohammed is His Messenger.”
2.    Salat: Prayer (5 times a day, facing Mecca). 
3.    Zakat: Alms giving or charity
4.    Sawm of Ramadan: Fasting
5.    Hajj: Pilgrimage to Mecca (Every able-bodied Muslim is obliged to make the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in their lifetime). 
C.   Islam is a way of life.
1.    Converting to Christianity can be dangerous and life-threatening.
a)    A number of converts find life difficult – pressure comes from family, work and society. 
b)    Many converts are being persecuted. 
2.    A person named Abraham Sarkar, a former devout Muslim, had to face much persecution when he became a Christian.
a)    His Muslim friends beat him up and threatened to kill him.
b)    “I lost everything after I accepted Christ, but my faith in Christ remained firm…The good news of Jesus Christ changed my life.  Jesus has given this former Muslim hope and the assurance of eternal salvation.  He has changed my life forever.  As a Christan, I find life today full of wonder and surprise.”  (Abraham Sarkar, Understand My Muslim People, p. 25). 

II.    God wants us to reach out to Muslims. 
A.   Jesus is mentioned 93 times in the Quran. He is considered a great prophet, but not a Savior.
1.    Palestinian Muslims are hostile to Jews. More than 2 million people in Jordan are 2nd or 3rd generation Palestinians who were removed from their traditional homeland, which is current Israel. 
2.    They hold grudges against the Jews. 
3.    Do Muslims need Jesus Christ?  Yes!  Does God love them?  Yes.

B.   What does Christ have to offer to Muslims? (Sarkar, p. 246-8)
1.    A Savior
a)    Even with keeping the 5 pillars, Muslims are not sure whether Allah would send them to heaven or hell.
b)    Acts 4:12  Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
c)    John 14:6  Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
2.    A Personal relationship with God
a)    Allah is distant – performance driven; Master-slave relationship.
b)    Revelation 3:20  Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
3.    The Holy Spirit
a)    Guides, comforts, empowers every believer.
b)    John 14:26  But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

III.   Obey the call to missions. 
A.   Acts 13:47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us:“ ‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’’”
B.   God sent His Son to save mankind, including Muslims. 
C.   They need to see the light.  They need to see the Truth.
D.   Do’s and Don’ts when reaching out to Muslims (Sarkar)
1.    Don’ts
a)    Don’t argue about Allah (will become an immediate barrier).
b)    Don’t have the attitude, “You’re wrong, and I’m right.”
c)    Don’t attack Mohammed or Islam. 
2.    Do’s
a)    Pray for them.
b)    Develop friendships (I was biased toward Muslims because of my burden and interest for Israel). 
c)    Respect your Muslim friend.
d)    Share your personal testimony (Don’t be afraid to pray in front of them.  Many Muslims don’t think Christians pray)

IV.  Conclusion
A.   God has called us to go and reach out to the world with the message of His gospel.
B.   Pray that God would open their hearts.  You can start reaching out to Muslims right where you are. 
C.   “God loves Muslims, and just as He saved me from the bonds of Islam, I know that His arm is not too short to extend His saving grace to Muslims across the globe and right here in America.  In fact, millions of Muslims right now are longing for what Christ has to offer through a vital, personal relationship with God.  Will you share this message of hope?” (Sarkar, p. 249). 

No comments: